Monday, October 13, 2008

18 more days to go

Welcome back Halloween loving folks!

Only five days have passed since my last post and I am sure, I am not the only one who did her homework. I went out there and got stuff. So, as for point two, I can call a wig with long black hair my own. It is called "Elvira- The mistress of the darkness". Sounds like a vampire but that is what I am certainly not going to be. This wig just helps turning me into someone else for a few days of the year. For once, I am not going to be blonde (I spare any other comments on that one).
Something less of importance that I snatched is a basic black blazer which leads us to...
Point four: Keep it basic at some point to avoid spending big $$$ for wearing something once. Long sentence but it is simple. Some of us may be on somewhat of a budget, so my advice is it to get a few things that will go well with your outfit but that you can also reuse in daily life. My blazer for example looks simple but with the right dress, wig, shoes and accessories it will be just right. So, I will be able to keep myself warm for that one special day while I was wearing the little black one out for a beer (or two, or three...) last night.

Note: I have to say that "basic" does not necessarily fit my idea of a perfect costume but sometimes, we need to take in account that we are students and very likely to be tight on money (if not, go buy that crazy expensive pair of shoes that you've always wondered which occasion it is perfect for).

Point Five: Go through your closet! I am very sure that there will be some treasuries only waiting for you to take them out! How about mum's red leather original 80's boots? How about that cute skirt you bought once while all fashion senses were absent? Try to look at your stuff in a different way and keep point three in mind (whose memory is as excellent as mine? Yes, point three is the one where you are supposed to come up with a general image for your costume).

Talking about point three; I have an addition to make.
Point three a) if you will:
If you have no inspiration at all, look through any magazines, history books and newspapers you can get in your hands. You will see a lot of useless trash but eventually, you will be putting different pieces together to one whole new outfit.

I notice by now that I should have marked this blog as especially for girls or something like that. Not that it wasn't about cloths and accessories and all that girly stuff already but it is getting better with...
Point six: Get AWESOME shoes! Shoes tell way too much about people (don't you reject guys for wearing "the wrong shoes", girls? C'mon, admit it!). This is the part where we will not go basic at all!!! As mentioned, you might have a really cool pair already sitting somewhere. If not, buy some cheap shoes because they might be so awesome-weird-pretty-ugly looking that you will only wear them for this one occasion. My friend just got incredibly high heels in purple metallic that are actually outrageously comfy. And the best part about them?! They were under $20!!

Where you can get ridiculously magnifique shoes for little cash and where to find other spots you must not miss on your costume-hunt I will explain in my next post.

Happy Halloween!

Anke.

1 comment:

kaleena said...

I like your whole point about going through your closet. Your mom's closet. And even maybe your dad's closet. Just throwing a lot of different pieces you already have for an outfit is absolutely a better way to save money. I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't spend 40-60 bucks on a costume that I would only wear once. But then again, there's ebay. Sure, it takes away the originality, but it sure does save time right? And money since you can sell it again right after?